A Software Framework for Rapid Development of a Configurable Biometric Workstation Application
BioComponents is Aware’s newest biometric user interface software application framework. It is designed to enable extremely fast implementation of a robust, advanced biometric enrollment application, yet also enable a high degree of configurability in terms of functionality and workflow. It is comprised of modular, independent, self-contained software components that can operate either independently or in concert, with each performing a specific biometric task. Each biometric capture Component has its own configurable user interface, and performs all tasks and workflows required for capture, hardware abstraction, and quality assurance.
Biographic and other textual data entry
Form scanning (e.g. fingerprint cards)
Data formatting and submission
The BioComponents platform is particularly well suited for supporting multiple different biometric enrollment applications across one or more government agencies from a single platform, with each having some different functionality requirements and constraints. The design provides common capabilities, maintenance, and support, and yet enables fast configuration to accommodate unique requirements of each stakeholder.
Each Component is packaged as either a Java applet or .NET user control, and can be used independently within either a Microsoft C#/.NET or Java application, or in a variety of web environments (ASP.NET, JSP, HTML).
The TextComponent enables highly configurable data entry via its user interface. It utilizes a configuration file that defines the data entry boxes (size, shape, color, label, etc) and the data that each entry box is designed to accept. A separate user interface called Form Designer is used by the application designer to layout and design the look, feel, and behavior of the Component. Together, the Form Designer and the TextComponent are designed to enable update, enhancement, and modification to the application without having to make significant changes to the application code. The configuration file allows for all displayed widgets to be specified and validated and how they should be validated.
The FingerprintComponent implements libraries from three Aware SDK products: FastCapture with LiveScan API, SequenceCheck, and Aware WSQ1000. It includes its own user interface. It performs:
- real-time quality analysis and autocapture of slap images
- Live scan hardware abstraction
- Segmentation of slap fingerprint images
- Sequence checking
- Post-capture quality analysis and scoring
- Highly-optimized, FBI-certified WSQ image compression (500 ppi images)
- Highly-optimized, FBI-certified JPEG 2000 image compression (1000 ppi images)
The FaceComponent is used to automatically capture biometric facial images according to U.S. and international biometric standards (e.g. ISO/IEC 19794-5). It includes libraries from the PreFace SDK product. It has its own user interface and performs:
- Real-time quality analysis and autocapture of facial mages
- Post-capture quality analysis of facial images
- Post-capture image processing (rotate, scale, crop, optimize)
- Camera abstraction
- Camera operation (zoom, brightness, color balance, shutter)
The FaceComponent supports consumer-grade cameras, webcams, and industrial cameras from many different vendors (see PreFace).
The FaceComponent can also be used to collect side profiles, SMT (scars, marks, tattoos).
The FormComponent is used to scan forms such as inked fingerprint cards, and incorporates libraries from the AccuScan SDK product. It performs:
- Flatbed scanner abstraction, with many FBI-certified scanners supported
- Compliance with FBI EBTS Image Quality Specification.
- Cropping of individual fingerprint images from a form in preparation for compression and formatting.
The PrintComponent is used for printing fingerprint images on cards and forms with quality sufficient for FBI-certification. It utilizes libraries from Aware NISTPack and AccuPrint SDKs. Functionality includes:
- Parsing of fingerprint images from transactions, such as EFTS
- Decompression of fingerprint images
- Mapping of text and images to correct location on the form
- Printing of card graphics such as lines and labels
- Generation of 1-bit dithered image to simulate grayscales
- Creation of a post-script or PCL-based image and sending to printer.
The SubmitComponent has access to the data set that the other components build up, and also has the ability to save the currently entered data set or to alternatively replace the current data set with data from another saved data set.
The SubmitComponent can:
- Save the current data set to a standards-compliant file (FBI EBTS or other)
- Replace the current data set with a set selected
- Build a transaction from the current data and submit it via SMTP, or web service to BioSP
- Verify entire transactions
The SubmitComponent can then save or submit the updated transaction.