Biometric Image Compression
Key JPEG 2000 features for biometric image compression
- Up to 50% smaller image files than JPEGs of the same image quality
- Accurate file size targeting
- Accurate image quality targeting
- Performs beyond compression ratios where JPEG breaks down, enabling compression of high-resolution images
- Multiple images and formats can be extracted from a single JPEG 2000 image file: lossy or lossless, color or grayscale, thumbnails, etc.
- Region of Interest encoding allows different compression ratios for different areas of the image
- Advanced error resiliency features prevent file damage during transmission in noisy environments
For Capture and Storage of Face and Iris ImagesJPEG 2000 is an international image compression standard (ISO/IEC 15444) referenced--and in some cases recommended--by biometrics standards for face and iris image compression. Several published technical reports cite the superior performance of JPEG 2000 as compared to JPEG. JPEG 2000 is used extensively for applications involving large images including medical imaging, historical archiving, and digital cinema. JPEG 2000 is also used for compression of 1000 ppi fingerprint images (see Aware WSQ1000).
Aware’s JPEG 2000 compression libraries are available as a standalone SDK or as part of several other Aware SDK products.
File size reduction of a facial image
Region of Interest